Friday 5 September 2014

Why I Love Liam Fray

The Courteeners are the last bastions of the Manchester indie scene. The Mancunian rockers, with their indie stompers, sing songs of love, heartbreak and youthfulness. Frequently criticised by many, The Courteeners' loyal fan base remain fanatical as ever, singing along to the bands' anthems, not missing a word (or note!)

Lead singer Liam Fray dons no long hair, previous drug addictions or ignorant attitude, yet remains inherently cool and with bags of stage presence. His bellowing voice captivates his every audience from o2 Academies to Reading Festival, invoking a havoc-wreaking party everywhere he goes.

To me, Liam Fray is relatable. Growing up in a working-class family, but not without a reasonable amount of money (with his father being a teacher), Fray speaks to me in a world full of bands either compiled of council estate layabouts or pompous students. He is also presentable, with no greasy, long hair or visible tattoos, something always encouraged to me by my family.

His obvious diction in his songs, conveying a message through his obviously Mancunian accent is something that I can also relate to. As a singer-songwriter myself, the transatlantic accent used by most 'pop stars' is wearing thin and his regional twang adds flavour to his music, in the same way that it did for Blur, The Stone Roses and Bob Dylan.

With a lyrical talent able to capture the imaginations of young indie fans nationwide, it is no surprise that Liam Fray should be one of my favourite musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment